Don't miss our giveaway, THE LITTLE MERMAID Diamond Edition 2-Disc Blu-ray+DVD Combo Pack with Digital Copy! Winner announced this Friday, 9/23.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

You can help!

Breast Cancer Facts
• Breast cancer is the leading cancer among American women and is second only to lung cancer in cancer deaths.
• One woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every three minutes and one woman will die of breast cancer every 13 minutes in the United States.
• An estimated 40,460 women and 450 men will die from breast cancer in 2008.
• Only 5 to 10 percent of breast cancers are due to heredity. The majority of women with breast cancer have no known significant family history or other known risk factors.
• African Americans have the highest death rate from breast cancer of any racial/ethnic group in the United States.

My surprise I promised over the weekend isn't quite ready to share just yet, though it will be verrrry soon - I'm so excited! In the mean time, what I'm about to share in this post is MUCH more important... trust me.

I'm sure there is hardly anyone who is reading this that has not been touched by breast cancer in some way- count yourself an extremely lucky person if you have not. Most of us know someone who has battled this disease, whether it be in our family, friends, friends' family, or even a personal encounter. Breast cancer can be devastating, but we can all help put an end to our fellow woman's suffering.

This coming Tuesday, August the 19th, I am helping with a bake-sale fundraiser for breast cancer awareness and research at Pikeville Medical Center. Kristen Preston, a pharmacist at PMC, will be joining thousands of other caring men and women to walk for the cure in Atlanta. The 3 day event takes place in October, breat cancer awareness month.

The Breast Cancer 3-Day is a 60-mile walk for women and men who want to make a personal difference in the fight to end breast cancer. Participants make a commitment to meet an individual fundraising goal of $2,200 and spend several months training to prepare for the event.
They devote the entire three-day weekend to the cause.
• Since its inception in 2003, more than $220 million has been raised through Breast Cancer 3-Day donations, contributions and sponsorships.
• In 2006, the Breast Cancer 3-Day raised $86 million through donations, contributions and sponsorships.

What can you do to help?

  • If you are in the Pikeville area and would like to make items for the bakesale on next Tuesday, you would be greatly appreciated! I'm told bakesales go over really well at the hospital. Items of interest could include the normal bake sale items; brownies, cookies, muffins, etc. Or think outside the box! Chex mix, chocolate dipped pretzels, rice krispie treats, oreo balls, buck-eyes, potato candy, even entire cakes have been sold at these bakesales! If you would like to help, drop me a comment on this post or give me a call. I will pick-up anything you want to make up until the Monday night before and bring them to PMC for you!
  • If you are not in the area and would like to give monetary support, there is a link to the right on my blog that will take you to the national website where you can support Kristen's team. When you donate, you can easily print out a form that will qualify your donation for tax purposes! 100% of your donation goes to help end breast cancer.
  • 85% percent of the net proceeds from the Breast Cancer 3-Day benefits Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting to end breast cancer. The other 15% of the net proceeds from the Breast Cancer 3-Day benefits the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund, a special field of interest fund that will provide support for breast cancer initiatives including research, treatment, prevention and education.

On a final note, I would love to be a member of the 3 day walk next year! If anyone would like to join my team, give me a shout! Can you think of a better reason to get into shape?!



  1. I will be happy to make chocolate covered pretzels individually wrapped for the cause. I have had a little practice making them recently.I think it's a great cause and you are great for helping with it. All my love.

  2. Stephanie, while Charlie is recovering, I thought I'd take some time to look at your blog. Thanks so much for your support for the Breast Cancer 3-day. I didn't know you were interested in forming a team next year!! I may want to join! We have been enjoying your movies! Signed, Your Preceptor...


I just shared my thoughts, I'd love to hear you share yours! {Besides, I'm tired of listening to the voices in my head.} I kid, I kid... ;)